HomeInternationalSuicide bomb attack kills eight civilians

Suicide bomb attack kills eight civilians

A twin suicide bomb attack targeted a Nato base in eastern Afghanistan yesterday, killing eight civilians and four Afghan policemen, local officials said.

Report by Reuters
A spokesman for Nato’s International Security Assistance Force (Isaf), said no one from the alliance was killed in the attack, which happened in Wardak province’s Sayed Abad district. “The truck bomb was huge, killing 12 and wounding 50 more,” said provincial governor spokesman, Sahidullah Shahid.

 
The Taliban, which took responsibility for the early morning attack, said it had dispatched two bombers, one on foot and one in an explosives-laden truck.

 
The Nato base was targeted last year on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks when a suicide bomber drove into it, killing four civilians and wounding 77 US troops.
Wardak province saw the worst single incident suffered by foreign forces in over 10 years of war when the Taliban shot down a transport helicopter last year, killing 38 troops, 30 of whom were American, mostly elite Navy seals.
Violence is increasing across Afghanistan ahead of the 2014 deadline for Nato to withdraw most of its troops.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading