HomeSportHighlanders, Platinum progress

Highlanders, Platinum progress

Highlanders . . . . (1) 2
Blue Rangers . . . . . . 1

Report by Sukohlule Mthethwa
Highlanders survived the dreaded penalty shootout when Ozias Zibande grabbed a late goal in the Mbada Diamonds Cup first round match against Blue Rangers at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

The drama-filled match saw goalkeeper Pedzisai Gumiremhete being red-carded for time wasting, following a caution for a similar offence earlier.


The goalminder was on the ground in what was seemingly an injury.

This caused a 10-minute stoppage following protests from the Blue Rangers players and technical staff.

Coach Partson Ndabambi called his players off the field protesting the red-card. In an embarrassing turn of events, Gumiremhete had to be restrained from beating up referee Bekezela Makeka.

Captain Nyasha Chazika also threatened to beat up match commissioner Sabelo Maphosa, who was trying to quell the situation.

It took the intervention of former Zimbabwe Saints coach Cosmas “Tsano” Zulu to psyche the players back into the game.

Bhekimpilo Ncube had thrust Highlanders ahead in the 25th minute when coach Kelvin Kaindu instructed Peter Moyo to send the ball to an unmarked Lawson Nkomo on the right and he in turn spotted Ncube who rose to the occasion with a header into the nets.

Bosso celebrations were cut short when the defence failed to stop Tigere Muparaganda who found an unmarked David Temwanjira inside the box who beat two defenders before scoring.

From Kariba, Albert Marufu reports FC Platinum cruised into the quarter finals of the same competition after beating Harare City 3-0 at Nyamhunga Stadium yesterday.

Allan Gadzikwa opened the scoresheet in the 47th minute with Joel Ngodzo scoring the second in the 78th minute. Mitchelle Katsvairo killed off the match as a contest after directing Ali Sadiki’s free kick into the nets three minutes from time.

After a goalless first half, the platinum miners came blazing in the second half and were rewarded when Gadzikwa flicked in Sadiki’s cross from the right on 47 minutes.

Ngodzo increased their lead after 78 minutes when his volley from the edge of the box beat John Nomore.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

NewsDay Zimbabwe will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.