HomeSportHighlanders, CAPS United lose

Highlanders, CAPS United lose

Motor Action…(1) 1


MERCIFUL Ncube’s first half strike condemned Highlanders coach Kelvin Kaindu to his first Castle Lager Premier Soccer League defeat at Barbourfields as 10-men Motor Action edged Bosso yesterday.

Interestingly, it was also the Mighty Bulls’ first win of the season after four rounds of play. The visitors played the second half a man down after Louis Matawu saw red on the stroke of half time.

Matawu was sent off for a second bookable offence after entering the field of play without notifying the referee just before half time. Earlier on he had been cautioned for kicking Highlanders midfielder Masimba Mambare.

Naturally, Kaindu was disappointed with the result which broke his home record since taking over as Bosso coach at the beginning of last season.

“It is so unfortunate that we have suffered our first home defeat. It is difficult because we did not expect to lose. The visitors got one chance and they used it. We created a lot of chances but we failed to convert. We now need to focus on our next game,” he said.
Motor Action stand-in coach David George was happy with the three points.

“We played well even though we were a man down. It is a good result for us because we now have four players,” he said.

From Gwanzura Stadium Michael Madyira reports that CAPS United caretaker coach Brenna Msiska endured the wrath of the club’s fans calling for his head after Farai Banda’s first half free-kick helped visiting Buffaloes edge them.

As Msiska was approaching the dressing rooms after the match, a section of fans pelted him with missiles and hurled insults blaming him for the defeat.

The team’s bouncers had to restrain a supporter who manhandled the former Warriors goalkeeper just outside the changing rooms.
Earlier on, a fan in the crowd had struck Buffaloes goalie Tandadzai Chengetai with an unidentified object, leaving the gloveman needing medical attention.

It was an afternoon where United had a decent performance but fluffed numerous scoring opportunities to succumb to their second defeat of the season in four matches.

“I am happy with the way the boys played but we were just unfortunate to score. It is however painful to lose after you play well,” said Msiska.

Banda settled the match on the stroke of halftime with a well struck free-kick after defender Arnold Chivheya handled just outside the 18-yard box.

The goal was one of the few Buffaloes’ raids as United was the more offensive side especially in the first half.

It appeared as if the afternoon belonged to the Green Machine whose first goal opportunity came as early as the first minute when Tawanda Nyamandwe failed to score at close range Tapiwa Kumbuyani’s cross.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading