HomeSportCAPS United dehorn Rhinos

CAPS United dehorn Rhinos

CAPS United (2)2
Black Rhinos 0

BY Michael Madyira

Chiredzi FC 0
Chapungu 0

Chicken Inn (0) 1
How Mine (1) 2

CAPS United recovered from last week’s 4-0 humiliation by Highlanders to crush Black Rhinos 2-0 at the National Sports Stadium yesterday.

Ronald Pfumbidzai struck from the penalty spot before adding from open play to bag maximum points for the Green Machine.
United lit up Harare following a 4-0 loss to Highlanders last weekend.

It was an afternoon that coach Taurai Mangwiro believed could be his year after demanding that his side play at the giant stadium.
Rhinos threw everything at CAPS United, especially in the opening stages of the match but the Harare giants managed to hold on with Pfumbidzai scoring in the 26th minute.

The referee of the day adjudged that a Black Rhinos defender had handled in the box and did not hesitate to point on the penalty spot. Up stepped Pfumbidzai to send Black Rhinos goalkeeper Robert Rusawo the wrong side.

The left-back wrapped up a brace just before the half-time whistle in what was the end result of the afternoon.

The goal came from a well-taken Moses Muchenje corner kick, which Pfumbidzai, who jumped over two of his markers, headed home to send CAPS United fans into a frenzy.

After the breather, CAPS United tried hard to increase their goals tally but forwards Pervington Zimunya and Dominic Chungwa took turns to waste a few chances that came their way.

After the match, a happy Mangwiro had this to say: “It is good we have won here at the National Sports Stadium because we want it to be our home. It is indeed a big recovery after losing to Highlanders last week. I hope we will continue winning matches.”

Once again, Black Rhinos coach Arthur Tutani blamed his charges for conceding silly goals.

“The mistakes we made cost us, and the referee was not fair. It is not that we were bad, We did our best but the positive result could not come. The penalty changed the complexion of the game,” Tutani said.

in Chiredzi, Kenneth Nyangani reports that Chiredzi FC failed to utilise home advantage yesterday after they were held to a goalless draw by army side Chapungu in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Chishamiso.

The Moses “Bambo” Chunga side are yet to win at home in their debut season. They have managed a mere five points out of a possible 21.

Chiredzi FC started the match on a high tempo but failed to convert the dominance into goals, allowing Chapungu to rediscover their formidable play.

In the second half, the army side came back a much organised side with their chance of winning the match coming in the 55th minute when Calisto Maheya threaded a pass for Ngonidzashe Murisa, who sent his effort flying over the bar. Two minutes later, the host had a chance to score after substitute, former Dynamos player Norman Maroto, who replaced Abel Gwatidzo, fed David Temwanjira inside the box, but again watched helplessly as his effort went off target.

Chiredzi FC coach Chunga said he was happy with the performance of his boys, adding that they did not, however, create many scoring chances.

“I am happy with the performa-nce. The players did well but they failed to create numerous scoring opportunities. We just need to win two games and then we will be in the groove,” Chunga said.

John Nyikadzino, who has seen his charges fading from the pace they started the season with, had this to say: “Collecting a point away from home is not easy, but the players showed great character for the entire 90 minutes and they were resilient.”

In Bulawayo, Thandiwe Moyo reports that How Mine shot to the top of the log after a four-match winning streak when they beat nine-man Chicken Inn in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Luveve yesterday.

The Metallon Gold-sponsored side are now on 13 points after a terrible start to the season that saw them losing their first two matches, drawing their third and winning four on the trot.

Kuda Musharu scored a brace for How Mine in the 31st and 62nd minutes to take his goal tally to six. Chicken Inn pulled back a face-saver in the 77th minute through Ishamel Lawe.
However, by then Chicken Inn were already one man down after Charles Mutero was shown a red card by referee Bekezela Makeka for a crude tackle on Musharu.

Central defender Ben Nyahunzvi picked up an injury in the 77th minute but was allowed back in the game. However, he limped throughout and had to be moved from his familiar position to play as a central striker.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading