HomeSportChiredzi FC, Hwange draw

Chiredzi FC, Hwange draw

Chiredzi . . . (1)1
Hwange . . . (0)1


PREMIERSHIP debutants Chiredzi Football Club failed to utilise home advantage once again as they were restricted to a one-all draw by visiting Hwange in a Castle Lager premiership match at Chishamiso yesterday.

Chiredzi FC are yet to collect maximum points at home as their only win came in a 2-0 win over Bantu Rovers away in Bulawayo.

Chiredzi scored through Trevor Ndlovu in the first half before Isaac Masame equalised for the visitors in the second stanza.
The visitors overpowered their opponents in the first half but failed to utilise chances that came their way with forward Aleck Marime missing glaring chances.

As early as the fourth minute, Rodwell Chinyengetere made fine exchange of passes with Evans Rusike, who released Marime inside the box but Chiredzi FC goalkeeper Steven Chimusoro was equal to the task, pushing the ball out for a corner.

Three minutes later, Tafara Chese found Marime inside the box but blasted his effort over the cross bar from a position which was easier to score than to miss.

Chinyengetere beat an offside trap in the 17th minute off a Phakamani Dube through pass but Chimusoro, who had a good day between the sticks for Chiredzi, made a fine save.

The home side jerked their fans off their seats after a stunning free kick which missed the target.

It was midfielder Ncube, who broke the deadlock with a well-taken raspy shot outside the box after receiving a fine pass from Tapiwa Depistara in the 33rd minute.

The second half was a balanced affair but the visitors equalised in the 66th minute through Masame.

Chiredzi FC striker Kenneth Matogo had a chance to put the hosts in the front, but again blasted his effort over the bar with Hwange goalkeeper Takabva Mawaya a beaten man.

Hwange head coach Nation Dube blamed the referee for the draw, saying that he was not happy with the level of officiating exhibited.

“The referee was okay in the first half but in the second he was biased,” he said.

Moses Chunga said he was happy with his side performance before adding that he needed more time to fine tune the squad.

“The boys did well and it is very unfortunate that we didn’t win the match. We conceded a silly goal, we are going to regroup and l think in three weeks’ time we will improve,” he said.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

NewsDay Zimbabwe will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.